[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Tue May 24 06:33:55 UTC 2011
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 05/23/2011 12:24 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> yes,butt....   SSD has to erase and write a LARGE block all at once, so
> they don't do so well with the sorts of 8k random writes that write
> intensive applications like relational databases commonly perform.

Many SSD are faster at writing even to already used blocks than disk
drives are.  Still, to stay on topic, the suggestion that I put forth
was to use the SSD for external journals for ext3 filesystems with
journal=data.  In that case, the OS should pretty much always be writing
full blocks to the SSD, so there should be even less concern about small
random writes.