[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Tue May 24 15:25:33 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:
> On 5/24/2011 10:05 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>>> SATA is the connection.  This is why you can have SATA hard drives and
>>> DVD drives.  The same goes for IDE, SCSI, USB, and Firewire.  They are
>>> connection types for accessing storage devices.  They can connect to
>>> traditional hard drives, SSD drives, DVD drives, raid enclosures, etc.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bowie
>>
>> So what do you call an actual SATA HDD then???? It's still a SATA HDD,
>> and it's still different from IDE, SCSI, SAS, SSD
>
> Personally, I would call it an SATA HDD vs an SATA SSD.  The same would
> be true of a SCSI HDD vs a SCSI SSD.
>
> At the moment, if you say "SATA drive", most people will understand you
> to mean hard drive simply because the solid state drives are not common
> enough.  If the price drops and they start taking over the market, then
> the understanding of "SATA drive" will probably change to refer to an SSD.
>
> >From Wikipedia:
> Serial ATA (SATA or Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) is a computer
> bus interface for connecting host bus adapters to mass storage devices
> such as hard disk drives and optical drives.
>
> --
> Bowie

But don't you think that a SSD, or rather Solid State Drive, would
still be seen as a different type of drive than a SATA drive, even
though they share the same type of bus & connector + power cable?

I know you get some USB type SSD's, but people still refer to them as
SSD drives, and not USB drives

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers