[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Tue May 24 15:42:24 UTC 2011
Benjamin Franz <jfranz at freerun.com>

On 05/24/2011 08:25 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> But don't you think that a SSD, or rather Solid State Drive, would
> still be seen as a different type of drive than a SATA drive, even
> though they share the same type of bus&  connector + power cable?

Interface and media type are completely independent. You can have SATA
DVD, SSD, hard drives, Blue Ray, magnetic tape drives, etc.. You can
have SAS DVD, SSD, hard drives, Blue Ray,tape drives, etc.. You can have
USB DVD, SSD, hard drives, Blue Ray, magnetic tape drives, etc..

That a drive uses a SATA interface tells you *nothing* about the
physical media itself.

You are making a category error. It is as if you claimed a laptop was
fundamentally different because you were using it with a 230V AC to DC
power adaptor instead of a 120V AC to DC power adaptor.

> I know you get some USB type SSD's, but people still refer to them as
> SSD drives, and not USB drives

I know a lot of people who call hard drives 'memory' - that doesn't make
them right.

The correct way to describe it is 'a SSD drive *with a USB interface*'
or 'a SSD drive *with a SATA interface*'.

--
Benjamin Franz