[CentOS] OT: wifi, phone, power in India and Malaysia

Tue May 24 16:14:34 UTC 2011
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 05/24/2011 10:38 AM Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 05/24/2011 03:29 PM, Richard Mollel wrote:
>>> Similarly, will the modem work in both countries?
>> see above...
>
> i dont think thats true. There are plenty of places I've travelled to
> where the modem in my laptop ( this was 2002 - 2004 ) didnt work. Eg.
> the modem that worked fine in the UK didnt work in the US, didnt detect
> the dialtone, didnt work in australia - the DTMF tones were slightly
> different and pulse dialing didnt work etc.
>
> - KB

Yes, exactly.  If we think about it just a little bit, a lot of stars
have to line up just so for for two countries-- even countries speaking
approximately the same language-- to adopt exactly the same technology.

As with phones, this may also be the case for wireless.