[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Wed May 25 08:32:59 UTC 2011
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Tue, 24 May 2011, Kevin K wrote:

> From: Kevin K <kevink1 at fidnet.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition
>

> On May 24, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>

>> But don't you think that a SSD, or rather Solid State Drive, would
>> still be seen as a different type of drive than a SATA drive, even
>> though they share the same type of bus & connector + power cable?
>>
>> I know you get some USB type SSD's, but people still refer to them as
>> SSD drives, and not USB drives
>
> Depends on what level you are looking.  Generically, it is
> a sequence of blocks, just like a rotating hard drive
> appears.  Proper ID commands can find out more detailed
> information on it.
>
> Some computers, like the Macbook Air, have SSD but it is
> NOT SATA.  It is plugged into an expansion slot.  I have
> also seen other SSDs that plug into PCI Express slots.

The OWC drive I'm looking at is a 2.5" SSD drive with SATA
II 3.0 Gb/s interface. It can also be used with a SATA
-> IDE/ATA adaptor, that would make it appear to the OS as a
P-ATA EIDE drive.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Extreme_Pro/Legacy_Edition

"Add a technological supercharger to your existing Mac or PC
with the OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro Legacy Edition SSD. Thanks
to the special PATA adapter included , it’s the fastest,
most reliable IDE/ATA mechanism available to breathe
lightning fast performance into that trusty machine and
extend its usefulness.

Includes IDE/ATA adapter for use in 3.5" IDE/ATA desktop
drive bays. With PATA adapter removed, SATA I (1.5Gb/s) and
SATA II (3.0Gb/s) interface supported, SATA 2.6 Compliant."

So I could use this in a desktop as an EIDE ATA 133Mbs
drive with the PATA adaptor, or as a SATA II desktop drive,
or in a laptop as a SATA drive.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that it's a MLC SSD.
I'd much rather find a SLC drive, due to the x10 reliability
factor.

The SATA -> EIDE drive adaptors are on ebay cheap.

I think this is a 2-way adapter; SATA -> PATA or vice
versa.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320645765177&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

The other option is to throw in a PCI(e) SATA controller
card, and run the SSD as a native SATA II drive in a legacy
IDE desktop.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: