[CentOS] Initial 6.0 trees in QA

Thu May 26 18:50:39 UTC 2011
Steven Crothers <steven.crothers at gmail.com>

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 2:06 PM,  <aurfalien at gmail.com> wrote:
> Me thinks its awesome for the updates, you have no idea how many times
> I've had to defend Centos on other lists.
>
> Kooks saying the project is dead, Dags departure from the dev list is
> the end, blah blah blah.  Just shear nonsense.

Please don't read into my comment of "good move forward" to much. I
still think the CentOS project has allot of growing to do and I
disagree with more things then I agree with at this point. I just see
any step forward into transparency is a good thing, however I think
they could use a good hard look at the Fedora and Debian projects.
Fedora and Debian in my opinion are both superior to the way CentOS
opens community development. Having one developer doing all the
packaging (Johnny) is a waste of resources and intelligence. A simple
repository where we can all contribute to the build cycle would be far
more beneficial in the long run for the project. However, they are
currently worried about people "stealing" their work and starting
their own rebuilds of RHEL, which if that was going to happen it would
have already. The SL team opens their build process and we can get
close enough with Fedora to make a good start.

Some of the developer paranoia needs to go, and more community
involvement needs to happen still. However the QA system is a good
step forward and like I said, hopefully the first of many over the
next few years.

--
Steven Crothers
steven.crothers at gmail.com