[CentOS] Grep: show me this line and the next N lines?

Tue May 31 07:43:32 UTC 2011
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 01:26, John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 01:10:40AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Thanks, all. I did actually look at the grep manpage but after a few
>> screenfuls it became tl;dr and I started just skimming. I suppose that
>> I skimmed too fast!
>
> Um....
>
> It's the first option described.

I see now that the server's grep manpage (CentOS) does in fact put it
right there at the top. I usually pull up manpages on localhost, not
what I'm SSHing into, and on this Debian-Derived distro it is buried
halfway down the third page of nine. That is interesting, and I'm sure
that there is a lesson to be learned from that!

GREP(1)

      GREP(1)

NAME
       grep, egrep, fgrep, rgrep - print lines matching a pattern

SYNOPSIS
       grep [OPTIONS] PATTERN [FILE...]
       grep [OPTIONS] [-e PATTERN | -f FILE] [FILE...]

DESCRIPTION
       grep  searches  the  named  input  FILEs  (or standard input if
no files are named, or if a single hyphen-minus (-) is given as file
name) for lines
       containing a match to the given PATTERN.  By default, grep
prints the matching lines.

       In addition, three variant programs egrep, fgrep and rgrep are
available.  egrep is the same as grep -E.  fgrep is the same as  grep
-F.   rgrep  is
       the  same  as grep -r.  Direct invocation as either egrep or
fgrep is deprecated, but is provided to allow historical applications
that rely on them
       to run unmodified.

OPTIONS
   Generic Program Information
       --help Print a usage message briefly summarizing these
command-line options and the bug-reporting address, then exit.

       -V, --version
              Print the version number of grep to the standard output
stream.  This version number should be included in all bug reports
(see below).

   Matcher Selection
       -E, --extended-regexp
              Interpret PATTERN as an extended regular expression
(ERE, see below).  (-E is specified by POSIX.)

       -F, --fixed-strings
              Interpret PATTERN as a list of fixed strings, separated
by newlines, any of which is to be matched.  (-F is specified by
POSIX.)

       -G, --basic-regexp
              Interpret PATTERN as a basic regular expression (BRE,
see below).  This is the default.

       -P, --perl-regexp
              Interpret PATTERN as a Perl regular expression.  This is
highly experimental and grep -P may warn of unimplemented features.

   Matching Control
       -e PATTERN, --regexp=PATTERN
              Use PATTERN as the pattern.  This can be used to specify
multiple search patterns, or to protect a pattern beginning with a
hyphen (-).   (-e
              is specified by POSIX.)

       -f FILE, --file=FILE
              Obtain patterns from FILE, one per line.  The empty file
contains zero patterns, and therefore matches nothing.  (-f is
specified by POSIX.)

       -i, --ignore-case
              Ignore case distinctions in both the PATTERN and the
input files.  (-i is specified by POSIX.)

       -v, --invert-match
              Invert the sense of matching, to select non-matching
lines.  (-v is specified by POSIX.)

       -w, --word-regexp
              Select only those lines containing matches that form
whole words.  The test is that the matching substring must either be
at the beginning of
              the line, or preceded by a non-word constituent
character.  Similarly, it must be either at the end of the line or
followed  by  a  non-word
              constituent character.  Word-constituent characters are
letters, digits, and the underscore.

       -x, --line-regexp
              Select only those matches that exactly match the whole
line.  (-x is specified by POSIX.)

       -y     Obsolete synonym for -i.

   General Output Control
       -c, --count
              Suppress  normal  output; instead print a count of
matching lines for each input file.  With the -v, --invert-match
option (see below), count
              non-matching lines.  (-c is specified by POSIX.)

       --color[=WHEN], --colour[=WHEN]
              Surround the matched (non-empty) strings, matching
lines, context lines, file names, line numbers, byte offsets, and
separators  (for  fields
              and  groups  of  context  lines)  with  escape sequences
to display them in color on the terminal.  The colors are defined by
the environment
              variable GREP_COLORS.  The deprecated environment
variable GREP_COLOR is still supported, but its setting does not have
priority.   WHEN  is
              never, always, or auto.

       -L, --files-without-match
              Suppress  normal  output; instead print the name of each
input file from which no output would normally have been printed.  The
scanning will
              stop on the first match.

       -l, --files-with-matches
              Suppress normal output; instead print the name of each
input file from which output would normally have been printed.  The
scanning will stop
              on the first match.  (-l is specified by POSIX.)

       -m NUM, --max-count=NUM
              Stop  reading  a  file after NUM matching lines.  If the
input is standard input from a regular file, and NUM matching lines
are output, grep
              ensures that the standard input is positioned to just
after the last matching line before exiting, regardless of  the
presence  of  trailing
              context lines.  This enables a calling process to resume
a search.  When grep stops after NUM matching lines, it outputs any
trailing context
              lines.  When the -c or --count option is also used, grep
does not output a count greater than NUM.  When the -v or
--invert-match  option  is
              also used, grep stops after outputting NUM non-matching lines.

       -o, --only-matching
              Print only the matched (non-empty) parts of a matching
line, with each such part on a separate output line.

       -q, --quiet, --silent
              Quiet;  do  not  write  anything to standard output.
Exit immediately with zero status if any match is found, even if an
error was detected.
              Also see the -s or --no-messages option.  (-q is
specified by POSIX.)

       -s, --no-messages
              Suppress error messages about nonexistent or unreadable
files.  Portability note: unlike GNU grep, 7th Edition Unix grep did
not  conform  to
              POSIX,  because  it  lacked  -q and its -s option
behaved like GNU grep's -q option.  USG-style grep also lacked -q but
its -s option behaved
              like GNU grep.  Portable shell scripts should avoid both
-q and -s and should redirect standard and error output to /dev/null
instead.   (-s
              is specified by POSIX.)

   Output Line Prefix Control
       -b, --byte-offset
              Print  the  0-based  byte offset within the input file
before each line of output.  If -o (--only-matching) is specified,
print the offset of
              the matching part itself.

       -H, --with-filename
              Print the file name for each match.  This is the default
when there is more than one file to search.

       -h, --no-filename
              Suppress the prefixing of file names on output.  This is
the default when there is only one file (or only standard input) to
search.

       --label=LABEL
              Display input actually coming from standard input as
input coming from file LABEL.  This is especially useful when
implementing  tools  like
              zgrep, e.g., gzip -cd foo.gz | grep --label=foo -H
something.  See also the -H option.

       -n, --line-number
              Prefix each line of output with the 1-based line number
within its input file.  (-n is specified by POSIX.)

       -T, --initial-tab
              Make  sure  that  the  first character of actual line
content lies on a tab stop, so that the alignment of tabs looks
normal.  This is useful
              with options that prefix their output to the actual
content: -H,-n, and -b.  In order to improve the probability that
lines  from  a  single
              file  will  all start at the same column, this also
causes the line number and byte offset (if present) to be printed in a
minimum size field
              width.

       -u, --unix-byte-offsets
              Report Unix-style byte offsets.  This switch causes grep
to report byte offsets as if the file were a Unix-style text  file,
i.e.,  with  CR
              characters  stripped off.  This will produce results
identical to running grep on a Unix machine.  This option has no
effect unless -b option
              is also used; it has no effect on platforms other than
MS-DOS and MS-Windows.

       -Z, --null
              Output a zero byte (the ASCII NUL character) instead of
the character that normally follows a file name.  For example,  grep
-lZ  outputs  a
              zero  byte  after  each file name instead of the usual
newline.  This option makes the output unambiguous, even in the
presence of file names
              containing unusual characters like newlines.  This
option can be used with commands like find -print0, perl -0, sort  -z,
 and  xargs  -0  to
              process arbitrary file names, even those that contain
newline characters.

   Context Line Control
       -A NUM, --after-context=NUM
              Print  NUM  lines  of  trailing  context  after matching
lines.  Places a line containing a group separator (--) between
contiguous groups of
              matches.  With the -o or --only-matching option, this
has no effect and a warning is given.

       -B NUM, --before-context=NUM
              Print NUM lines of leading context before matching
lines.  Places a line containing a group  separator  (--)  between
contiguous  groups  of
              matches.  With the -o or --only-matching option, this
has no effect and a warning is given.

       -C NUM, -NUM, --context=NUM
              Print  NUM  lines  of  output context.  Places a line
containing a group separator (--) between contiguous groups of
matches.  With the -o or
              --only-matching option, this has no effect and a warning is given.

   File and Directory Selection
       -a, --text
              Process a binary file as if it were text; this is
equivalent to the --binary-files=text option.

       --binary-files=TYPE
              If the first few bytes of a file indicate that the file
contains binary data, assume that the file is of type  TYPE.   By
default,  TYPE  is
              binary,  and  grep normally outputs either a one-line
message saying that a binary file matches, or no message if there is
no match.  If TYPE
              is without-match, grep assumes that a binary file does
not match; this is equivalent to the -I option.  If TYPE is  text,
grep  processes  a
              binary  file  as  if it were text; this is equivalent to
the -a option.  Warning: grep --binary-files=text might output binary
garbage, which
              can have nasty side effects if the output is a terminal
and if the terminal driver interprets some of it as commands.

       -D ACTION, --devices=ACTION
              If an input file is a device, FIFO or socket, use ACTION
to process it.  By default, ACTION is read, which means that devices
are  read  just
              as if they were ordinary files.  If ACTION is skip,
devices are silently skipped.

       -d ACTION, --directories=ACTION
              If an input file is a directory, use ACTION to process
it.  By default, ACTION is read, which means that directories are read
just as if they
              were ordinary files.  If ACTION is skip, directories are
silently skipped.  If ACTION is recurse, grep reads all files under
each  directory,
              recursively; this is equivalent to the -r option.

       --exclude=GLOB
              Skip  files whose base name matches GLOB (using wildcard
matching).  A file-name glob can use *, ?, and [...]  as wildcards,
and \ to quote a
              wildcard or backslash character literally.

       --exclude-from=FILE
              Skip files whose base name matches any of the file-name
globs read from FILE (using wildcard matching as described under
--exclude).

       --exclude-dir=DIR
              Exclude directories matching the pattern DIR from
recursive searches.

       -I     Process a binary file as if it did not contain matching
data; this is equivalent to the --binary-files=without-match option.

       --include=GLOB
              Search only files whose base name matches GLOB (using
wildcard matching as described under --exclude).

       -R, -r, --recursive
              Read all files under each directory, recursively; this
is equivalent to the -d recurse option.

   Other Options
       --line-buffered
              Use line buffering on output.  This can cause a
performance penalty.

       --mmap If possible, use the mmap(2) system call to read input,
instead of the default read(2) system call.  In some situations,
--mmap yields better
              performance.   However, --mmap can cause undefined
behavior (including core dumps) if an input file shrinks while grep is
operating, or if an
              I/O error occurs.

       -U, --binary
              Treat the file(s) as binary.  By default, under MS-DOS
and MS-Windows, grep guesses the file type by looking at the  contents
 of  the  first
              32KB  read  from  the  file.   If  grep decides the file
is a text file, it strips the CR characters from the original file
contents (to make
              regular expressions with ^ and $ work correctly).
Specifying -U overrules this guesswork, causing all files to be read
and  passed  to  the
              matching mechanism verbatim; if the file is a text file
with CR/LF pairs at the end of each line, this will cause some regular
expressions to
              fail.  This option has no effect on platforms other than
MS-DOS and MS-Windows.

       -z, --null-data
              Treat the input as a set of lines, each terminated by a
zero byte (the ASCII NUL character) instead of a newline.   Like  the
-Z  or  --null
              option, this option can be used with commands like sort
-z to process arbitrary file names.

REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
       A  regular  expression  is a pattern that describes a set of
strings.  Regular expressions are constructed analogously to
arithmetic expressions, by
       using various operators to combine smaller expressions.

       grep understands three different versions of regular expression
syntax: “basic,” “extended” and “perl.” In  GNU grep,  there  is  no
difference  in
       available  functionality between basic and extended syntaxes.
In other implementations, basic regular expressions are less powerful.
 The following
       description applies to extended regular expressions;
differences for basic regular expressions are summarized afterwards.
Perl regular  expressions
       give additional functionality, and are documented in
pcresyntax(3) and pcrepattern(3), but may not be available on every
system.

       The  fundamental  building blocks are the regular expressions
that match a single character.  Most characters, including all letters
and digits, are
       regular expressions that match themselves.  Any meta-character
with special meaning may be quoted by preceding it with a backslash.

       The period . matches any single character.

   Character Classes and Bracket Expressions
       A bracket expression is a list of characters enclosed by [ and
].  It matches any single character in that list; if the first
character of the  list
       is the caret ^ then it matches any character not in the list.
For example, the regular expression [0123456789] matches any single
digit.

       Within  a  bracket  expression,  a  range  expression  consists
of two characters separated by a hyphen.  It matches any single
character that sorts
       between the two characters, inclusive, using the locale's
collating sequence and character set.  For example, in the  default  C
 locale,  [a-d]  is
       equivalent  to [abcd].  Many locales sort characters in
dictionary order, and in these locales [a-d] is typically not
equivalent to [abcd]; it might
       be equivalent to [aBbCcDd], for example.  To obtain the
traditional interpretation of bracket expressions, you can use the C
locale by  setting  the
       LC_ALL environment variable to the value C.

       Finally,  certain named classes of characters are predefined
within bracket expressions, as follows.  Their names are self
explanatory, and they are
       [:alnum:], [:alpha:], [:cntrl:], [:digit:], [:graph:],
[:lower:],  [:print:],  [:punct:],  [:space:],  [:upper:],  and
[:xdigit:].   For  example,
       [[:alnum:]]  means [0-9A-Za-z], except the latter form depends
upon the C locale and the ASCII character encoding, whereas the former
is independent
       of locale and character set.  (Note that the brackets in these
class names are part of the symbolic names, and must be included in
addition  to  the
       brackets  delimiting  the  bracket expression.)  Most
meta-characters lose their special meaning inside bracket expressions.
 To include a literal ]
       place it first in the list.  Similarly, to include a literal ^
place it anywhere but first.  Finally, to include a literal - place it
last.

   Anchoring
       The caret ^ and the dollar sign $ are meta-characters that
respectively match the empty string at the beginning and end of a
line.

   The Backslash Character and Special Expressions
       The symbols \< and \> respectively match the empty string at
the beginning and end of a word.  The symbol \b matches the empty
string at the edge of
       a word, and \B matches the empty string provided it's not at
the edge of a word.  The symbol \w is a synonym for [[:alnum:]] and \W
is a synonym for
       [^[:alnum:]].

   Repetition
       A regular expression may be followed by one of several
repetition operators:
       ?      The preceding item is optional and matched at most once.
       *      The preceding item will be matched zero or more times.
       +      The preceding item will be matched one or more times.
       {n}    The preceding item is matched exactly n times.
       {n,}   The preceding item is matched n or more times.
       {,m}   The preceding item is matched at most m times.
       {n,m}  The preceding item is matched at least n times, but not
more than m times.

   Concatenation
       Two regular expressions may be concatenated; the resulting
regular expression matches  any  string  formed  by  concatenating
two  substrings  that
       respectively match the concatenated expressions.

   Alternation
       Two  regular  expressions  may  be  joined  by  the  infix
operator |; the resulting regular expression matches any string
matching either alternate
       expression.

   Precedence
       Repetition takes precedence over concatenation, which in turn
takes precedence over alternation.  A whole expression may be enclosed
in  parentheses
       to override these precedence rules and form a subexpression.

   Back References and Subexpressions
       The  back-reference  \n,  where  n is a single digit, matches
the substring previously matched by the nth parenthesized
subexpression of the regular
       expression.

   Basic vs Extended Regular Expressions
       In basic regular expressions the meta-characters ?, +, {, |, (,
and ) lose their special meaning; instead use the backslashed versions
\?,  \+,  \{,
       \|, \(, and \).

       Traditional  egrep  did  not  support the { meta-character, and
some egrep implementations support \{ instead, so portable scripts
should avoid { in
       grep -E patterns and should use [{] to match a literal {.

       GNU grep -E attempts to support traditional usage by assuming
that { is not special if it would be the start of an invalid  interval
 specification.
       For  example,  the  command  grep -E '{1'  searches  for  the
two-character string {1 instead of reporting a syntax error in the
regular expression.
       POSIX.2 allows this behavior as an extension, but portable
scripts should avoid it.

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
       The behavior of grep is affected by the following environment variables.

       The locale for category LC_foo is specified by examining the
three environment variables LC_ALL, LC_foo, LANG, in that order.  The
first  of  these
       variables  that  is  set  specifies  the  locale.  For example,
if LC_ALL is not set, but LC_MESSAGES is set to pt_BR, then the
Brazilian Portuguese
       locale is used for the LC_MESSAGES category.  The C locale is
used if none of these environment variables are set, if  the  locale
catalog  is  not
       installed, or if grep was not compiled with national language
support (NLS).

       GREP_OPTIONS
              This  variable  specifies  default  options  to  be
placed  in  front  of  any explicit options.  For example, if
GREP_OPTIONS is '--binary-
              files=without-match --directories=skip', grep behaves as
if the two options  --binary-files=without-match  and
--directories=skip  had  been
              specified before any explicit options.  Option
specifications are separated by whitespace.  A backslash escapes the
next character, so it can
              be used to specify an option containing whitespace or a backslash.

       GREP_COLOR
              This variable specifies the color used to highlight
matched (non-empty) text.  It is deprecated in favor of GREP_COLORS,
but still supported.
              The mt, ms, and mc capabilities of GREP_COLORS have
priority over it.  It can only specify the color used to highlight the
matching non-empty
              text in any matching line (a selected line when the -v
command-line option is omitted, or a context line when -v is
specified).  The  default
              is 01;31, which means a bold red foreground text on the
terminal's default background.

       GREP_COLORS
              Specifies the colors and other attributes used to
highlight various parts of the output.  Its value is a colon-separated
list of capabilities
              that defaults to
ms=01;31:mc=01;31:sl=:cx=:fn=35:ln=32:bn=32:se=36 with the rv and ne
boolean capabilities omitted (i.e., false).   Supported
              capabilities are as follows.

              sl=    SGR substring for whole selected lines (i.e.,
matching lines when the -v command-line option is omitted, or
non-matching lines when -v
                     is specified).  If however the boolean rv
capability and the -v command-line option are both specified, it
applies to context matching
                     lines instead.  The default is empty (i.e., the
terminal's default color pair).

              cx=    SGR  substring for whole context lines (i.e.,
non-matching lines when the -v command-line option is omitted, or
matching lines when -v
                     is specified).  If however the boolean rv
capability and the -v command-line option are both specified, it
applies  to  selected  non-
                     matching lines instead.  The default is empty
(i.e., the terminal's default color pair).

              rv     Boolean  value  that  reverses (swaps) the
meanings of the sl= and cx= capabilities when the -v command-line
option is specified.  The
                     default is false (i.e., the capability is omitted).

              mt=01;31
                     SGR substring for matching non-empty text in any
matching line (i.e., a selected line when the -v command-line option
is omitted, or a
                     context line when -v is specified).  Setting this
is equivalent to setting both ms= and mc= at once to the same value.
The default is
                     a bold red text foreground over the current line
background.

              ms=01;31
                     SGR substring for matching non-empty text in a
selected line.  (This is only used when the -v command-line option  is
 omitted.)   The
                     effect  of  the  sl=  (or cx= if rv) capability
remains active when this kicks in.  The default is a bold red text
foreground over the
                     current line background.

              mc=01;31
                     SGR substring for matching non-empty text in a
context line.  (This is only used when the -v command-line option is
specified.)   The
                     effect  of  the  cx=  (or sl= if rv) capability
remains active when this kicks in.  The default is a bold red text
foreground over the
                     current line background.

              fn=35  SGR substring for file names prefixing any
content line.  The default is  a  magenta  text  foreground  over  the
 terminal's  default
                     background.

              ln=32  SGR  substring  for  line  numbers  prefixing
any  content  line.  The default is a green text foreground over the
terminal's default
                     background.

              bn=32  SGR substring for byte offsets prefixing any
content line.  The default is  a  green  text  foreground  over  the
terminal's  default
                     background.

              se=36  SGR  substring for separators that are inserted
between selected line fields (:), between context line fields, (-),
and between groups
                     of adjacent lines when nonzero context is
specified (--).  The  default  is  a  cyan  text  foreground  over
the  terminal's  default
                     background.

              ne     Boolean  value  that  prevents  clearing to the
end of line using Erase in Line (EL) to Right (\33[K) each time a
colorized item ends.
                     This is needed on terminals on which EL is not
supported.  It is otherwise useful on terminals for which  the
back_color_erase  (bce)
                     boolean  terminfo  capability does not apply,
when the chosen highlight colors do not affect the background, or when
EL is too slow or
                     causes too much flicker.  The default is false
(i.e., the capability is omitted).

              Note that boolean capabilities have no =...  part.  They
are omitted (i.e., false) by default and become true when specified.

              See the Select Graphic Rendition (SGR) section in the
documentation of the text terminal that is used for permitted values
and their  meaning
              as  character attributes.  These substring values are
integers in decimal representation and can be concatenated with
semicolons.  grep takes
              care of assembling the result into a complete SGR
sequence (\33[...m).  Common values to concatenate include 1 for bold,
4 for  underline,  5
              for  blink,  7  for  inverse,  39 for default foreground
color, 30 to 37 for foreground colors, 90 to 97 for 16-color mode
foreground colors,
              38;5;0 to 38;5;255 for 88-color and 256-color modes
foreground colors, 49 for default background color, 40 to 47 for
background  colors,  100
              to 107 for 16-color mode background colors, and 48;5;0
to 48;5;255 for 88-color and 256-color modes background colors.

       LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LANG
              These  variables  specify the locale for the LC_COLLATE
category, which determines the collating sequence used to interpret
range expressions
              like [a-z].

       LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG
              These variables specify the locale for the LC_CTYPE
category, which determines the type of characters, e.g., which
characters are whitespace.

       LC_ALL, LC_MESSAGES, LANG
              These variables specify the locale for the LC_MESSAGES
category, which determines the language that grep uses for messages.
The  default  C
              locale uses American English messages.

       POSIXLY_CORRECT
              If  set,  grep  behaves as POSIX.2 requires; otherwise,
grep behaves more like other GNU programs.  POSIX.2 requires that
options that follow
              file names must be treated as file names; by default,
such options are permuted to the front of the operand list and are
treated as  options.
              Also,  POSIX.2  requires that unrecognized options be
diagnosed as “illegal”, but since they are not really against the law
the default is to
              diagnose them as “invalid”.  POSIXLY_CORRECT also
disables _N_GNU_nonoption_argv_flags_, described below.

       _N_GNU_nonoption_argv_flags_
              (Here N is grep's numeric process ID.)  If the ith
character of this environment variable's value is 1, do not consider
the  ith  operand  of
              grep  to  be  an option, even if it appears to be one.
A shell can put this variable in the environment for each command it
runs, specifying
              which operands are the results of file name wildcard
expansion and therefore should not be treated as options.  This
behavior  is  available
              only with the GNU C library, and only when
POSIXLY_CORRECT is not set.

EXIT STATUS
       The  exit status is 0 if selected lines are found, and 1 if not
found.  If an error occurred the exit status is 2.  (Note: POSIX error
handling code
       should check for '2' or greater.)

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright 1998-2000, 2002, 2005-2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

There is NO warranty; not even  for  MERCHANTABILITY  or  FITNESS  FOR
 A  PARTICULAR
       PURPOSE.

BUGS
   Reporting Bugs
       Email  bug  reports  to  <bug-grep at gnu.org>, a mailing list
grep's Savannah bug
       tracker is located at <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=grep>.

   Known Bugs
       Large repetition counts in the {n,m} construct may cause grep
to use lots of memory.  In addition, certain other obscure regular
expressions require
       exponential time and space, and may cause grep to run out of memory.

       Back-references are very slow, and may require exponential time.

SEE ALSO
   Regular Manual Pages
       awk(1),  cmp(1),  diff(1), find(1), gzip(1), perl(1), sed(1),
sort(1), xargs(1), zgrep(1), mmap(2), read(2), pcre(3), pcresyntax(3),
pcrepattern(3),
       terminfo(5), glob(7), regex(7).

   POSIX Programmer's Manual Page
       grep(1p).

   TeXinfo Documentation
       The full documentation for grep is maintained as a TeXinfo
manual.  If the info and grep programs are properly installed at your
site, the command

              info grep

       should give you access to the complete manual.

NOTES
       GNU's not Unix, but Unix is a beast; its plural form is Unixen.

User Commands

> Mankind is a single body and each nation a part of that body.  We must
> never say "What does it matter to me if some part of the world is ailing?"
> If there is such an illness, we must concern ourselves with it as though we
> were having that illness.
>
> Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (1881-1938), founder and first President of the
> Republic of Turkey

Thank you for that quote. I find it very relevant and I will certainly
use the quote. Coming from Ataturk it is doubly valuable.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com