[CentOS] redhat vs centos

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com
Tue Nov 1 12:25:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen at iki.fi> wrote:
> 2011/11/1 Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de>:

>>> You can get updated php and mysql from ius community repo.
>>>
>>> http://iuscommunity.org/
>>
>> I don't think the real question here is whether you can get updated
>> packages from somewhere but if it's worthwhile to build upon centos when
>> it's becoming increasingly difficult for centos to make releases.
>
> Well, I mainly use RHEL on production systems - for many reasons. You
> can also try use scientific linux..
>
> br,
> Eero

When Redhat announced the changes they made it very clear they were
trying to prevent other companies (like Oracle and Novell) who were
providing support to RHEL customers at reduced rates.  They have never
said they were concerned with the free clones and in fact have helped
CentOS many times in the past (according to statements from the core
developers).

Redhat knows that the free distros help them maintain market share,
and gain customers who need full support eventually.  The issues
CentOS are seeing are simply collateral damage to the larger war
against the other big companies who are trying to provide services by
cheating.

-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-