[CentOS] redhat vs centos

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Nov 1 19:09:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 01:57:29PM -0400, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Tony Mountifield wrote:
> >In article
> ><CALKwpEyuPRU5Az9xU_d_BrJc0m_E9XDLH1T5iuB2U8rvRZevTg at mail.gmail.com>,
> >Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com> wrote:
> >
> >>When Redhat announced the changes they made it very clear they were
> >>trying to prevent other companies (like Oracle and Novell) who were
> >>providing support to RHEL customers at reduced rates.  They have never
> >>said they were concerned with the free clones and in fact have helped
> >>CentOS many times in the past (according to statements from the core
> >>developers).
> >>
> >>Redhat knows that the free distros help them maintain market share,
> >>and gain customers who need full support eventually.  The issues
> >>CentOS are seeing are simply collateral damage to the larger war
> >>against the other big companies who are trying to provide services by
> >>cheating.
> >>

> >Except that the other day, Johnny posted this:
> >

> >>I can tell you that we have been contacted by upstream to make sure we
> >>**UNDERSTAND** the new AUP restrictions on distribution.  I can also
> >>tell you that we (CentOS) are doing everything in our power to meet the
> >>restrictions as they were explained to us.
> >>

> >which sounds like RH making it clear that their changes are aimed at
> >CentOS too.
> >
> This sounds more like a butt covering exercise by lawyers, remember this
> all comes from the USA where there are FAR TOO MANY lawyers.
> To be able to enforce a possible claim under this AUP restriction, they
> will need to show that those involved with use of the code, under this
> new clause, understand and have been communicated with.......etc.
> As I said, a butt covering exercise - rather than any expressed attempt
> at intimidation or enforcement - just my $0.01 worth.
> >Pity... perhaps RH have had a change of manager somewhere...

Can someone point me to some place where I can learn what the "new"
AUP restrictions are? I'm sure there's a docuyment somewhere on the RH
web site, but how would I know which parts are new (since I haven't been
faithfully reading it from time to time.) ??

Also, one wonders, since most of it is GPL (or gpl-compatible), how can
they place acceptable use policies on it? (some of the non-gpl parts, sure,
but...)

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.