[CentOS] redhat vs centos

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Nov 1 21:12:15 UTC 2011

On 11/01/2011 03:50 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:
>> Tony Mountifield wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <CALKwpEyuPRU5Az9xU_d_BrJc0m_E9XDLH1T5iuB2U8rvRZevTg at mail.gmail.com>,

>>> Except that the other day, Johnny posted this:

>>> which sounds like RH making it clear that their changes are aimed at
>>> CentOS too.
>>
>> This sounds more like a butt covering exercise by lawyers, remember this all
>> comes from the USA where there are FAR TOO MANY lawyers.
>> To be able to enforce a possible claim under this AUP restriction, they will
>> need to show that those involved with use of the code, under this new
>> clause, understand and have been communicated with.......etc.
>> As I said, a butt covering exercise - rather than any expressed attempt at
>> intimidation or enforcement - just my $0.01 worth.
>

> I know it's more fun to blame the evil lawyers for everything, but it
> sounds more like they respect the project and took special effort to
> reach out and make sure they were aware and fully understood the
> changes.  That is far more likely given the history and widespread
> usage of CentOS.

================================
I said they made sure we were aware of the AUP and explained what the
new AUP meant.  I never said anything about anyone being threatening or
being threatened.

The CentOS Project is very appreciative for the openness of the upstream
provider.

It has always been our policy to stay within the upstream provider's
guidelines and AUP's.  We will continue to do so when the guidelines and
AUP's change.
We have created the CR repo ... it has not REPLACED updates, it is just
an additional repo.  Its purpose is to allow us to release the packages
that will eventually be in the NEXT point release in stages as we get
them done.  You can get these changes if you chose ... or you can wait
until we get everything done and released as 6.1.

We will eventually get a 6.1 release out ... in the meantime, the CR
repo will have MOST of the updates (the ones that are done now) while we
fix the problem updates.