[CentOS] redhat vs centos

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Nov 2 14:52:36 UTC 2011

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 20:27, Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com> wrote:
>> Centos is fun, but I am kinda interested in more modern packages that
>> ubu seems to offer. Worried about
>> having to relearn a full system though.

> Ubuntu server a bit different, but not terribly so. Apache is called
> apache and not httpd, and there is no chkconfig. For webservers that
> is not a terrible thing to relearn. I'm sure that other uses will find
> other small, but not insignificant differences.

There are things that really annoy me with Ubuntu. I've got the netbook
remix, solely because it is built for that, and it does things like *not*
ever removing older kernels, so my boot is currently listing about 6 or 8;
I've manually had to remove them in the past, and will have to again.

I also really dislike their equivalent of grub.conf - it's a long, long
script, with stuff buried in it, and it calls a bunch of other files,
rather than the simple, clean one in RH/CentOS.

        mark