[CentOS] Archive mail format?

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Wed Nov 2 22:26:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011, Les Mikesell wrote:
>Thanks - I think most of what I'd want to keep is still accessible via
>imap.   What I'm wondering is if there is a general consensus about
>the file format for long term storage that would be most likely to
>permit direct search and access from some future mail reader, possibly
>on some other OS.  I suppose I could make a VM image that I could fire
>up as an imap server again, but that seems kind of cumbersome.

I would store in Maildir format as it's simple, supported by
several IMAP servers (e.g. courier-imap and dovecot), and it's
very easy to use standard *nix tools to search and/or manipulate
messages.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

We believe...that a mugger will kill you in the half-second it takes to
draw from the holster, but won't harm you while you dial the police on your
cell phone, talk to the dispatcher and wait half an hour for officers to
arrive. -- Gun-Control Net-work Credo