[CentOS] redhat vs centos

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Wed Nov 2 22:36:45 UTC 2011

On 11/02/2011 06:34 AM, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 01/11/11 22:26, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

>>> https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/desktop/
>>>

>>> First option, Server Self-support Subscription (1 year) $349
>>>
>>> https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/server/
>>>

>>> A 2 socket virtualization platform is $1,999 giving unlimited virtual
>>> guests.
>>>

>> Just to be sure does that mean that for $2000 I can install on one physical
>> system and unlimited guests on that system or does that mean the $2000 are
>> only for the host system with the *ability* to host an unlimited number of
>> guests and I still have to buy a subscription for each individual guest on
>> top of that?
>>
>> Regards,
>>      Dennis
>>

> All I can tell you is that our virtualization licenses allow you to
> install on 1 host (up to 2 sockets), and on *that* one host you can then
> install as many RHEL guests as you like and they will all be entitled to
> updates through RHN without consuming any further entitlements. So
> unlimited entitled RHEL guests.

Is that the $2000 license or how much do you pay for that? I'm trying to
understand if the costs of licensing RHEL are actually feasible for and
right now I'm a bit perplexed that their licensing isn't all that clear.
If the license indeed includes the entitlements for RHEL guests on that
host then this actually looks manageable  but if you have to pony up more
on top of that for each VM then something like debian looks indeed more
attractive.

Regards,
   Dennis