[CentOS] School cloud solution

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 18:07:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Doug Coats <dcoatshca at gmail.com> wrote:
> This really isn't a CentOS specific queation but that is our server OS of choice.
>
> I manage a student file server and i would like to add cloud access to it.  Basically i would like our students to have access to the same files at home that they have at school.  This would allow them to start an asignment at home, finish it at school, and print it off without having to worry about losing their usb drive.  I want it housed on our servers for backups and ease of access for our teachers when necessary.

If you really want the same access from outside, you  could use
openvpn or pptp, but then you have to support a whole assortment of
network login issues from machines you don't control.

>  I have looked at Moodle but it has way to many layers that we are not interested in. I would like something like squirrel mail.  A simple web login that then gives you access to your samba managed files.

SME server would have something like this built in.

> I have repeatedly searched for such capabilities but i have not found any that fit what i outlined above.  Is there such a program out there?

GUI wrappers over scp/sftp should work (winscp, fugu, etc.) should
work if you open ssh.   Even normal ftp via browser access should
work.  For something slightly fancier, you could use the file manager
module from usermin, but it is java so it has a slow startup when you
have to download the applet.   It does seem odd that there is no
common user-mode http server to access your own files.   Does the
"ubuntu one" service require ubuntu?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com