[CentOS] redhat vs centos

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 20:13:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM, John Beranek <john at redux.org.uk> wrote:

> On 02/11/2011 10:31, Patrick Lists wrote:
> > On 11/02/2011 11:02 AM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> >> What is a "socket" in their pricing model? The word can mean so many
> >> different things...
> >
> > Afaik it refers to a physical cpu socket. So they count actual cpu's,
> > not the amount of cores in each cpu.
>
> I was just asking myself this very question the other day, and I
> couldn't determine how many sockets you are using if you use, say, 2
> _virtual_ processors.
>
> John.
>
> --
> John Beranek                         To generalise is to be an idiot.
> http://redux.org.uk/                                 -- William Blake

The sockets refers to the literal, physical CPUs.  Virtual CPUs (for
guests) or cores do not count.  Unless your running some kind of mainframe
you will likely have a server with anywhere from 1-2 sockets.  My
understanding of the licensing is that you pay for the
host/hypervisor/machine to have RHEL, plus however many guests the license
includes.  So 4 or unlimited.

Example: my server has 2 sockets, 4 cores each.  If i paid for
RHEL unlimited guests on 2 sockets...I could have only 2 virtual machines
each with 4 virtual CPUs, or 8 VMs with 1 vCPU each.  That's still within
the license.  Sockets is referring to the things that are LGA775 or AM3+.

- Trey