[CentOS] redhat vs centos

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 02:38:29 UTC 2011

On Monday 07 November 2011 22:23:09 Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 07.11.2011 22:50, schrieb Marko Vojinovic:
> > Typically, you have no way of knowing the physical structure of the
> > "cloud machine" where your virtual machine is being hosted. Also, this
> > structure may even change over time due to upgrades of the cloud
> > hardware (by the cloud provider). You wouldn't even know about it.
>
> again:
>
> the physical structure does not matter
> you pay for virtaul CPUs as you do also for virtual appliances
> of some vendors where you can get a license with 2 vCPUs or
> 4 vCPUs - independent if you have your own hardware or using
> any hsoting service
>
> what is there so difficulty to understand?

Well, what I don't understand is how many vCPU's are equal to one socket.

Or, to be explicit, let me invent an example: suppose that I have leased
virtual hardware from some 3rd party, and have obtained a virtual machine with
6 vCPU's. I want to buy RHEL licences to install on that machine. AFAIK, RH
counts licences in sockets. How many licences should I buy? Or, iow, how many
sockets is equal to 6 vCPU's?

Does RH have a formula for the number of sockets as a function of the number
of  vCPU's (and vice versa)?

Best, :-)
Marko