[CentOS] Fwd: centos Wireless - Broadcom BCM4313

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Tue Nov 8 10:59:13 UTC 2011

Vreme: 11/08/2011 07:59 AM, Johan Vermeulen piše:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm trying to configure wireless card on a Dell Vostro 1540.
>
> I had a look at this site : http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless/Broadcom?action=show
>
> wireless card :# /sbin/lspci | grep Broadcom
> 12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
>
> I decided to follow the ELrepo instructions suggested on the site :
>
>                             http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod
>
> because it would give me a clear and present rpm that I can use on different machines and that will survive kernel updates.

This is good choice many of us recommend as best solution.

Question: This is CentOS 6? i386 or x86_64?

> This all goes down without error messages.

You downloaded appropriate firmware and compiled all of it?

> After installing, there is a new entry in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules :
>
> # PCI device 0x14e4:0x4727 (wl)
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="94:39:e5:dc:3a:cf", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"
>
> and there is now a blacklist-Broadcom.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/:
>
> blacklist b43
> blacklist b43legacy
> blacklist bcm43xx
> blacklist ssb
>
> So I think the driver works and the blacklist - issue that is reported on different sites is ok.

What does "iwlist" command give you?

Have you installed all other packages needed for wireless?

> I then made an entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:
>
> vi ifcfg-eth1
Change the name to ifcfg-wlan0

> DEVICE="eth1"
Change to DEVICE="wlan0"
> #BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
> HWADDR="94:39:e5:dc:3a:cf"
> NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> TYPE=Wireless

Add this:

USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no

Why is BOOTPROTO disabled?

> *The problem is*  I'm not seeing any wireless networks.

<snip>

> I think I need  to configure something else.

wpa-suplicant?

> I know a lot of you guys don't like NetworkManager but because it's a laptop I would like to use it.
>
> I hope I gave enough info, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> greetings, James.
>
> Centos is here to stay, I'm sure.
>
> P.S. I don't have an English spell checker on this machine, sorry for language mistakes :=)

Do not worry about it, most native speaking English don't bother to
write correctly.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)