[CentOS] redhat vs centos

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 18:59:22 UTC 2011

Am I missing something here, or is the conversation below just an elaborate
joke on my expense?

On Tuesday 08 November 2011 03:17:11 Trey Dockendorf wrote:

> Socket != vCPU.  There is no need for a formula.  The licensing is done
> based on the hosting hardware.

What gives?

Let me stress again: there is *no* *information* about the hosting hardware!
It is "in the cloud", on some mainframe or cluster of the cloud provider. That
hardware is potentially subject to change over time and at provider's
discretion, without me even knowing about it. There are no sockets for me to
count anywhere, only vCPU's. Damn, that's why it' called s a *virtual*
machine!

RH licence model is based on the assumption that I own or otherwise have
physical access to the hardware on which I am to install RHEL, and can
consequently count the physical sockets of that hardware. This assumption is
*false* for the situation discussed above. The hardware is *not* available for
counting sockets, and in addition is a moving target (subject to changes).

If RH does not have that case covered at all, I can understand, and that's OK.
It's probably best to contact a RH representative and discuss what to do on a
case-by-case basis, which is also OK.

What is *not* OK is people on this list authoritatively telling me that
everything is clear and that I have difficulty understanding what they are
saying. When in fact it is the other way around.

Is this an April's Fool joke, or what? Yesterday when I checked the calender
it said "November"... Or are some people on this list just too ignorant to
read and too dense to understand the actual question when replying?

Sheesh! :-@
Marko