[CentOS] Fwd: centos Wireless - Broadcom BCM4313

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 20:12:13 UTC 2011

On 08/11/11 16:02, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Vreme: 11/08/2011 12:46 PM, Johan Vermeulen piše:
>>> What does "iwlist" command give you?
>> # iwlist
>> Usage: iwlist [interface] scanning [essid NNN] [last]
>>                  [interface] frequency
>>                  [interface] channel
>>                  [interface] bitrate
>>                  [interface] rate
>>                  [interface] encryption
>>                  [interface] keys
>>                  [interface] power
>>                  [interface] txpower
>>                  [interface] retry
>>                  [interface] ap
>>                  [interface] accesspoints
>>                  [interface] peers
>>                  [interface] event
>>                  [interface] auth
>>                  [interface] wpakeys
>>                  [interface] genie
>>                  [interface] modulation
>>
>> that's not good, is it?:-\
>
> Sorry, run "iwlist wlan0 ap"
>
> Also helpfull are:
>
> ifconfig
> ip address
>
> Look in their manuals to se how to use them.
>
>   >  after reboot I now see a cabeled network ( wlan0) ( disconnected) and an
>   >  " Auto wlan0 marked as available....
>
> It is strange that Wireless interface is marked cabled. But I do not
> have ANY experience with Broadcom radios. All I use are Atheros radios.
>
> Try creating "Connect to Hidden Network" connection (or whatever the
> actual text is) in NetworkManager GUI. You must see be able to set ESSID
> at other configs. If you do not have it, then something is wrong.
>
> You can also try using the kmod-wl package that I compiled per elrepo
> instructions:
> http://rpms.plnet.rs/plnet-centos6-x86_64/RPMS.plnet-compiled/kmod-wl-5_100_82_38-3.el6.el6.x86_64.rpm
>
> Maybe this makes a difference, but notice that I never tested it.
>

> If I fail to help you, you will always be able to report a bug:
>
> http://elrepo.org/bugs/main_page.php
>
> ,so your problems can be investigated.

I _think_ when one of the elrepo folks tried the latest Broadcom driver
source a week or two ago, the driver stopped working for him. No idea if
this was el5 or el6, but not a good sign. Apparently it's not that uncommon.

My recommendation is that if you can find a driver version that works
for you, hang on to it!

I have no idea if Broadcom keep older version sources available or not.
If they would relax their draconian redistribution policies we could do
a half way decent job of supporting their drivers, but currently that's
not the case.