[CentOS] Redhat vs centos vs ubuntu

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Thu Nov 10 16:07:00 UTC 2011

Vreme: 11/10/2011 04:30 PM, Scott Robbins piše:
> Well, Fedora is going to systemd, which seems more designed for
> desktop/laptop users, where speed of a boot seems to be the most
> important goal, so I suspect RH will get there too.

systemd will be much much more once it is done.

 From http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html :

A central part of a system that starts up and maintains services should
be process babysitting: it should watch services. Restart them if they
shut down. If they crash it should collect information about them, and
keep it around for the administrator, and cross-link that information
with what is available from crash dump systems such as abrt, and in
logging systems like syslog or the audit system.

Status

All the features listed above are already implemented. Right now systemd
can already be used as a drop-in replacement for Upstart and sysvinit
(at least as long as there aren't too many native upstart services yet.
Thankfully most distributions don't carry too many native Upstart
services yet.)

However, testing has been minimal, our version number is currently at an
impressive 0. Expect breakage if you run this in its current state. That
said, overall it should be quite stable and some of us already boot
their normal development systems with systemd (in contrast to VMs only).
YMMV, especially if you try this on distributions we developers don't use.

So it is not only booting, but also unifying and better controlling
entire environment.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)