[CentOS] Redhat vs centos vs ubuntu

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Thu Nov 10 19:20:25 UTC 2011

Lamar Owen wrote
----------------------------

If you doubt the speed at which a non-locked-down system can be exploited, take a 1990s vintage copy of
, say, RHL 6.2, go ahead and pre-download the last set of updates for that distribution, do the install
  on a public IP with no firewall appliance in front of you, and see if you can get the updates
  installed before you're pwned.

------------------------------
Completely agree.
I noticed upon a new datacenter install with new ips a large number of
very strange traffic hits my firewall
logs are full of it.
I feel, and I could be wrong, that scripts run that just check ips that
usually never answer.
Then one day the ip answers. The script knows it is probably a new
install and they send it all
at once.

Ubu and centos, different animals. However, the ubu server is touted as
an enterprise ready system
with commercial support. I found the initial install lacking in that
regards and the commercial support
sales never answered my mails.
I think ubu is all about the desktop and really getting into the cloud.
But for a standalone webserver
the initial setup is not ready for prime time.

I think a company with some good techs can build a nice system that can
then be passed along to their servers.
However, for the small operator I would take a pass on ubu at this time.

The newer stuff is cool, but it lacks the polish of a ready to go
system. Centos has the polish, but lacks the new stuff.
sigh.