[CentOS] CentOS versus Scientific

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Mon Nov 14 20:51:21 UTC 2011

Le 14/11/2011 21:31, Alan McKay a écrit :
> Hey folks,
>
> I was just reminded of the Scientific distro, which on the surface
> appears to be quite similar to CentOS even when the developers over
> there are rather coy about which Enterprise Linux distro they base
> theirs on.
>
> I wonder if anyone here has done a comparison of the two that they'd
> care to share.
>
> I work in a Scientific Research Lab (Stem Cell Research) and am
> wondering if there is anything about the Scientific disto that might
> be better suited to our needs, even if it is only the fact that it is
> put together by people who work in similar environments and would
> therefore understand our needs better.
>
> I'm just starting to read up on it to see what I think and thought I
> would ask what others think.
>
> One thing I will have to look into of course is what kind of support
> there is - this list is absolutely fantastic for CentOS and that alone
> is worth a lot.
>
> cheers,
> -Alan

Hi Alan,

One difference is that SL 6.1 has been releasd on July, 28. See :
http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/rnotes/sl-release-notes-6.1.html

The distrib is supported by Fermilab and CERN, and is in fact a rebuild
of RHEL with very few elements added. Some which were added previously
(Root...) are now in EPEL repository.

There are at least two paid developpers to incure for releases and
updates, which are said to be released "within a couple of days" :
http://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/errata

Alain