[CentOS] Changes at Red Hat confouding CentOS

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Tue Nov 15 15:34:03 UTC 2011

On 11/15/2011 9:35 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 15.11.2011 14:56, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
>> But isn't everyone today using laptops for everyday use?
> this is what some braindead developers seems to think
> but it is not true nor will it never get true!
>
> why in the world should i use a laptop in my office if
> i can have a Core i7 Quad combined with much more and
> better hardware as ever possible in a laptop?
>
> why in the world should i use a laptop @home where i
> have a dedicated place for a powerful machine with much
> less heat and noise than a crappy laptop?
>
> i have worked long enough with laptops and they was, they are
> and they will always be useless crap if you need power and
> comfort while you do more as webbrowsing or read a handful
> mails what i can do with my mobile
Agreed! The cramped screen space (I run dual vid cards in sli with 4
monitors with development apps spread all over them!), sluggish response
(open what I have running on my work station and any laptop goes into
crawl mode), heat (if you really run it in your lap as the name infers)
and that just touches on the very start of my list. Yes, I have few
laptops and use them when I 'need' to and one often times goes with me
when I leave my office (but my phone is rapidly replacing that need
unless I'm going for days)... but why on earth would I consider using
only a laptop? Well, if I was always mobile, but I'm not. Maybe if I
didn't need to run any development systems... Eclipse on a laptop
certainly works, but is sluggish vs. a workstation. Open Dreamweaver,
Photoshop, Eclipse, three web browsers a secure shell or few, email, IM,
and then need to open a Word attachment and most laptops chug to worst
than a crawl.

Yes, laptops are more becoming a tool of the trade, but I don't think 1%
is any where near a real number. It 'might' be as high as 50%????
(totally grabbing at the stars saying that).