[CentOS] Centos6 - Xfce - howto add usb automount

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 15 16:33:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Vreme: 11/15/2011 04:11 PM, Johan Vermeulen piše:
>>> dear all,
>>>
>>> I configured Xfce on an Centos6 minimal install, I think its very fast,
>>> even on al 512Mb machine.
>>>
>>> But I don't have any clue how to make a usb automount on this.
>>>
>>> Anybody can help me with this?
>>
>> I think autofs package is needed, but not sure.
>
> That *is* what does it. It needs to be installed, and it will run as a
> daemon.

Hmm not on a normal machine AFAIK.  autofs normally keeps well out of the way
of random removable devices, unlike bits of gnome (that clearly nautilus is
either responsible for, or pulls in the bit that is) that likes to get busy
with creating /media/ography}{5} when a usb hard disk gets plugged in.  Quite
how it picked that when the vfat filesystem had no label I'm not entirely
clear...

jh