[CentOS] Changes at Red Hat confouding CentOS (was: What happened to 6.1)

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Nov 15 16:58:52 UTC 2011

On 11/15/2011 05:40 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>>> +1
>>
>> I doubt that. The issue isn't the technology but the support issues that
>> can arise from updating systems between releases. Red Hat would have to
>> test all kinds of update scenarios and not only between two releases but
>> they'd also have to take into account systems that have been upgraded
>> several times. I'm pretty sure they will stick to the service migration
>> update path they are using now.
>
> preupgrade is only for migration for full releases, and does sorta kinda
> work.... It's been in fedora a year or so; I'm *not* looking forward to it
> hitting RHEL, and so CentOS, but I'm figuring it will, in another year or
> two.

It might be available as a package but I doubt it will be officially
supported by RHEL. "sorta kinda" isn't good enough for an enterprise OS. If
business customers begin hosing their systems with these upgrades then Red
Hat will be in quite a bit of trouble. Sure upgrading from a sysv init
based system to systemd init based system might work well for your LAMP
system but what will it do to proprietary clunky software that is running
out there? Will your complex Oracle DB setup actually survive that upgrade?

Right now customers have to upgrade by creating new installs that they can
test independently of their running infrastructure which makes them
ultimately responsible for the "upgrade" (migration really) process.

With an upgrade path between major versions Red Hat will become responsible
for that and I'm not sure they are willing to bear that burden for all the
possible various installations out there.

Regards,
   Dennis