[CentOS] What happened to 6.1

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Tue Nov 15 23:21:54 UTC 2011

On 11/15/2011 02:47 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 15.11.2011 23:43, schrieb John R. Dennison:
>>> I was wondering if it would be safe to just stay with the 'standard'
>>> repo for centos and wait for 6.1 that way or do you suggest adding the
>>> CR repo as a necessary event?
>> Depends on if you feel that security updates are important to your
>> infrastructure.
> but why in the world is an extra repo needed for security-updates?
> it is like a bad joke installing a os and have to search how
> to install a repo for ESSENTIAL updates while most people
> think "i have a package manager and get updates"

This keeps the distributed ISO's compatible with the upstream.
Installing the CentOS 6.0 ISO is equivalent to installing the upstream's
6.0 ISO.  I once had to deal with a commercial software package that
required that it be installed on Redhat 4.2 or something like that.  If
you installed updates, the software didn't work.

The current build problems are hopefully a temporary situation and if
they are resolved CentOS users will have the option of the rolling
updates or waiting for the update release.  For "most" users, installing
updates from the CR repo is the best choice, but there could be exceptions.

Nataraj