[CentOS] UC UC What happened to 6.1

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Nov 16 15:34:23 UTC 2011

On 11/16/2011 05:59 AM, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, Rushton Martin wrote:
>
>> Only that with fixed point releases you set aside a day or so to
>> download, burn, transport and load.  You wouldn't want to be doing that
>> daily on the off chance that something relevant has been added.  Horses
>> for courses, the problem won't affect most people as Nataraj said.
>
> So set aside a day and apply all of cr.  If you're only going to update once
> every 6 months it really doesn't matter whether you're applying from an
> updates repo, or from something that's only released once every 6 months.

The point I think john is trying to make is that you can also just put
the updates and CR repos on a DVD (it might not fit) or usb hard drive /
key (better idea as this can hold several GB).

Then you can put that on the network and update from there.

It is not any harder than taking a DVD from place to place ... and is
actually safer as a DVD upgrade uses Anaconda to calculate the updates
and the REPOs use yum ... and yum does updates much better than anaconda
if you are staying in a major branch ... ie, the 6.x branch.