[CentOS] UC UC What happened to 6.1

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Nov 16 17:45:01 UTC 2011

On 11/16/2011 11:40 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Is there a scripted approach to this that will always get a consistent
>>> snapshot copy even if you run it while updates are being added in the
>>> repositories?   Waiting for a new DVD spin avoids that issue.
>>>
>>> If the networks don't have to be absolutely isolated, you might also
>>> fire up a squid proxy on a box with internet access and point yum to
>>> it, or perhaps use ssh port-forwarding to reach a network with an
>>> internet proxy.
>>>
>> When we update the mirrors on mirror.centos.org ... we put the packages
>> on first, then the metadata.
>>
>> This approach means that during our rsyncs, we always have consistent
>> installs ... except that the packages could be newer until a given sync
>> finishes (but you should be able to install from the repo at all times).
>
> That timing must not always be propagated to other mirrors - at least
> I've hit missing dependencies in yum updates that fix themselves in a
> day or so.   That would be more annoying in a situation where you had
> to make new copies and transport them somewhere.

Right ... we don't control how external mirrors sync from mirror.centos.org.

We also usually have our mirrors synced fairly fast (we have a speed
chart (map) that we use to get all the mirrors synced as fast as we can
based on connect speed to one another) ... but it can take a while to
get that synced to public mirrors .. since there are hundreds of them.