[CentOS] the majority will NEVER use smartphones

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 13:44:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>> Consider the upcoming Asus Transformer Prime tablet which has more
>> horsepower than my desktop computer (by far) though less RAM and less
>> storage. The cloud can be your storage... heck all of my music is
>> already on Google Music.
>
> uninteresting because it does not change the fact that for most
> things touchscreens are not really a solution and so GUIs
> should not be only optimized for touch-screens
>
> there has to be a option "touchscreen-user" or "do not wste space"

Not sure I understand - a soft keyboard only takes screen space when
needed.  And a very popular device is making news about its voice
input app that is sort-of usable.

And maybe you've missed the measurements showing Netflix video to be
30% of end-point internet traffic in the US.

> you really believe that the majority and that are surely
> business users switch to touchscreens for their daily work?

Or embedded devices with remote controls and no keyboard at all...
Netflix got their popularity by running on just about every device
that can connect to the internet and a screen.   But those are not
replacements for the computer where you manage your queue, they are
additions, but you might spend more time with them.

>this will not happen now an dnot in hundret years!

I think we are only a few years away from fully usable voice controls
which will eliminate any size requirements for your end point device.
Keyboard input isn't really that great anyway.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com