[CentOS] CentOS 6 smb authentication?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 18:41:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM,  <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:

>> I just installed win 7 pro @home in order to be more compatible with
>> my new @work environment.  I am likewise having a problem with samba
>> shares.  The samba shares are on a C5.7 server and were readily
>> available from the same machine running XP for the last couple of
>> years.
>>
>> The new w7pro install is on the same network as the previous XP
>> install on that machine and in fact has the same IP address as the
>> former XP os.
>>
>> Now with the fresh install of w7pro I cannot see any of the samba
>> shares from the w7pro machine.  All of the googled solutions I have
>> found so far have not worked.  I have added a couple of entries to the
>> smb.conf that were suggested and restarted smb but no joy.
>>
>> Anyone have pointers that may get me going again?
>
> Have you seen this: http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7
>
> In particular the registry on w7 needs modification in order to join.
>
> I have numerous w7 machines in a couple of smb domains working as advertised.

I don't think you need that unless you are using samba as a domain
controller.  If you just want a windows7 (pro...) client to send it's
NTLM credentials to samba like XP would,  run 'secpol.msc' and under
Under Local Policies, Security Options, Network security, change
option from ‘not defined’ to ‘Send LM & NTLM use NTLMv2 session
security if negotiated.

Otherwise you can only connect to shares with
security = share and guests allowed.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com