[CentOS] Monitoring services

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Nov 28 18:35:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> What's available to remotely monitor services? What I'd like is
> something that can run scripts for each service to connect to a port
> and verify that it's up, and then send me an SMS message (phone
> text) to let me know which, if any, are down.

We use Nagios at work, as many others have suggested.

I've never configured Nagios to do SMS directly. We have text-message
escalations by e-mail, since several cellular carriers allow e-mails
to be sent directly to your phone:

  * AT&T:  <phone number>@txt.att.net
  * T-Mobile: <phone number>@tmomail.net
  * Verizon: <phone number>@vtext.com

Where <phone number> is your 10-digit number.