[CentOS] megaraid/PERC

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Nov 29 21:54:49 UTC 2011

Craig White wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2011, at 2:09 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> I wouldn't waste the time with MSM - I would simply use the BIOS
>>> configuration for the RAID storage which can easily look at the drives
>>> for RAID configuration and load it if it can find it.
>>
>> Sorry, let me give my conditions a bit more: I don't think I can reboot
>> the server - I believe it's currently in use as a development machine by
>> one of the teams, so I can't play around with it.
<snip>
>> Playing with this thing, I believe I want to create another drive group,
>> not just add another RAID to an existing one, which just seems as though
>> it could get really ugly. But when I click on the controller, I can then
>> get to "Go To" -> controller, which will let me create a new virtual
>> drive, but drive group is all greyed out still. Further, I don't see
>> anything that would let me investigate what the documentation seems to
>> call a "foreign RAID".
>>
>> Hope that gives y'all a better picture of my environment.
> ----
> let me see if I get this right... you don't want to play around with a
> server that's in production now but you are perfectly willing to play
> around with a server that's in production mode as long as it doesn't
> involve rebooting?

A development server that's in use is not a production server. Those are
visible to the world. I don't think it's unreasonable to go in, add a
drive group, add these drives to the group, and have it rediscover them
and present them to me. Why is that not a safe thing? Other than the
rediscover the RAID, it's no different than shoving an ordinary drive into
one of the hot swap bays and mounting it under /mnt.
<snip>
       mark