[CentOS] Moving server

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Nov 30 12:45:57 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 06:18 AM, ken wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 06:36 AM Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I want to move my home server over to a new machine,
>> both running CentOS.
>> (The present server is running CentOS-5.7, the new one 6.0.)
>> I'm thinking of moving things over one at a time,
>> starting with email.
>> I'm running IMAP on the server,
>> with my email in ~/Maildir/ .
>> I'm wondering what exactly I need to copy to the new machine?
>>
>> Any help or suggestions gratefully received.
>
> If it were me, I'd copy the entire old machine (running 5.7) over to the
> new machine so that after the copy it was also running 5.7, then upgrade
> the new machine to 6.0.  ...unless you like making things more
> complicated than they need to be.

An upgrade on the same machine from 5.7 to 6.x is not supported and
would always leave behind a bunch of old libraries, etc.

The way he is doing it is the correct way (at least as recommended by RH
for RHEL and by us for CentOS.

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ch-upgrade-x86.html