[CentOS] checking package versions in various releases

John Broome jbroome at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:40:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 09:28, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I am sure there must be an easy way to do this.
>
> I am currently running 5.3 and "yum info db4" tells me that they have
> version 4.3.29.
>
> Is that telling me that this is the version in 5.3?  Or that this is
> the latest version in the 5.x stream?
>
> If the former, then how do I find out what release of the db4 software
> (sleepcat berkeley db) is in 5.7?
>
> I don't want to "yum upgrade" just yet.  I have to research a number
> of things before upgrading, and this is one of them.

Browse a mirror:
http://mirror.wiredtree.com/centos/5/os/x86_64/CentOS/db4-4.3.29-10.el5_5.2.x86_64.rpm

It's very rare that point release update/upgrades within a major
version will b0rk anything.

That's the point of running an enterprise OS, there shouldn't be any
major changes within a release.

Testing in a VM like Fabien mentioned is also a pretty good idea.