[CentOS] checking package versions in various releases

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Nov 30 16:37:28 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 10:15 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
>> I'd be hesitant to put an EOL product on my production machines as well.
>
> Let me rephrase that - I am hesitant to put ANY virtualization on
> these production machines.  Mainly because I am very new here and do
> not know the environment very well yet.

The answer to your question is this:

yum info will tell you 2 things.  The installed version and the latest
available version.

The installed version(s) are all versions of that on your machine ...
usually only kernel will have more than one.

The available version is the latest in the repos that you have active.
If you have your own repo then it would be the latest in your repo.  If
you use the default repos, then it would be the latest available for the
entire 5.x tree (currently 5.7).

You can also just look here to see the latest as well:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/updates/

or if there are no updates for a package then here:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/