[CentOS] clustering

Wed Nov 16 02:50:32 UTC 2011
Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com>

Hey folks,

I just went through the archives trying to find some info on this but
did not come up with much other than it seems there are a few experts
here on the list.

I have no experience with clustering and have just taken over a Stem
Cell Research Lab that has a Grid Engine cluster.  I have not yet dug
into the details of Grid Engine (only been here a week now) but am
just trying to get up to speed on clustering in general.

I was just looking at Red Hat's site and they have this HPC thing
http://www.redhat.com/promo/mrg/ but damned if I can find any actual
details on it there - that data sheet they link to is just a bunch of
marketing gobble-de-gook as far as I can make sense of it anyway.

Quick question : what are Red Hat using to do that, and can CentOS do
the same thing?   How hard is it to configure?  How does it compare to
Grid Engine?

I have to say I'm a bit hesitant about Grid Engine because of the
whole Oracle takeover.   I just don't trust Oracle.

Basically I'd like to get up to speed really quickly on different
clustering technologies, and maybe even set up a CentOS (or
Scientific) based cluster in a sandbox to play with.

I guess - looking for reading to get up to speed on clustering, and
wondering what my options are with CentOS, RHEL and Scientific.

thanks,
-Alan