[CentOS] VirtualBox on CentOS 6.0?

Wed Nov 2 08:04:01 UTC 2011
Roy Trubshaw <roy.trubshaw at yahoo.co.uk>

A few things:

- It didn't/doesn't play well with other virtual machine libraries.
- Don't forget to install the vbox extensions if you want/need to use USB 2.0
- Don't forget to install DKMS before pretty much anything else.

- It _is_ worth the hassle of adding the vbox guest additions to support seamless mouse and keyboard integration
- ... not to mention resizing the machine window
- Here's a relatively complete description on turning VirtualBox into a service under Redhat/Centos/Fedora (http://www.kernelhardware.org/virtualbox-auto-start-vm-centos-fedora-redhat/). Though I'd replace vboxmanage with vboxheadless. [Can't be bothered to remember if either of the two apps are camelcase or not - check.]
- Dismount the guestadditions ISO / O/S installation ISO / any other non-essential ISO _*before*_ you take a snapshot. 8-)
- If you want the guest system to be a server you need bridged networking (it works pretty well 'out of the box' actually).
- RTFM (really)

It was the first VM I used (mainly because it works on hardware the doesn't support hardware virtualisation) and the only real problems I have had have been 64bit guests on 64bit hosts (both windows and unices).

YMMV

Toodles,
Roy

________________________________
From: David McGuffey <davidmcguffey at verizon.net>
Sent: Wednesday, 2 November 2011, 1:27
Subject: [CentOS] VirtualBox on CentOS 6.0?

I have an older quad-core AMD processor that supports hardware
virtualization on a motherboard that does not support it in the bios.

Eventually I'll swap the mobo out on this box for one that will support
hardware virtualization and use qemu-kvm. I prefer kvm because of
SELinux and sVirt that protects the host from VM breakout should a VM
become hostile.

In the meantime, I want to start work on a web project and want to use
this idle machine and CentOS 6.0 in a VM. What I prototype and learn
will eventually be moved to the production machine using kvm and sVirt.

So...I downloaded and installed Virtualbox 4.x but haven't yet had the
time to check it out.

Any tips/tricks concerning it?

Dave