[CentOS] CentOS 4 Dovecot Problem

Wed Nov 2 14:04:28 UTC 2011
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

On 11/1/2011 3:53 PM, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 11/1/2011 10:30 AM Grant McChesney spake the following:
>> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM, John Hinton<webmaster at ew3d.com>   wrote:
>>
>>> For those of you that still are running CentOS 4... I have one system
>>> that is still going... there is a problem with the newest release of
>>> Dovecot under mbox. Certain spam is causing this error when users try to
>>> log on.
>>>
>>> file lib.c: line 37 (nearest_power): assertion failed: (num<=
>>> ((size_t)1<<   (BITS_IN_SIZE_T-1)))
>>>
>>> Rolling back to a previous release fixes these issues. I'm not bothering
>>> to file a bug with Redhat as the EOL is rapidly approaching and I just
>>> about have my one system's users moved to a new server.
>>>
>>> I have not as of yet seen this problem on CentOS 5 mbox systems, but I
>>> don't have many users on those systems either as I'm 'slowly' migrating
>>> all to CentOS 6 Maildir systems.
>>>

>> I got bit by this bug as well.  I rolled back to dovecot-0.9.11-9 for now
>> until I find time to upgrade to CentOS 5 or 6.
> DO yourself a favor and use a dovecot from a third party repo... the 0.9
> series is YEARS old.

We've dealt with if for nearly 7 years now and only have a few months to
go. The problems have been few. I posted this to help those make it
through to February. I delayed moving folks from the v4 systems waiting
for the v6 systems so as to gain a couple or few more years before EoL
for them and for other reasons that v5 does not properly address.
Clients don't like to be moved around. In a perfect world, email client
programs would not have problems with these moves... but we don't live
in a perfect world. Those problems irritate the clients and increase our
tech support by multiple times. Heading off into a repo 1.x upgrade at
this point is rather silly IMO.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502