[CentOS] What happened to 6.1

Wed Nov 2 17:02:25 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Wednesday, November 02, 2011 12:53:29 PM Les Mikesell wrote:
> Try the other way around: build RHEL from their src rpms, try to run
> the 3rd party binary...  I thought you said that didn't work.  If you
> can't rebuild that source so it works, you might as well not use open
> source.

Ok, let me get this straight:  you want open source on your OS but don't care about it for third party apps?  If you have the third party source, you can rebuild it too.  If you're using a closed source third party apps then doing the same thing with the OS shouldn't be a problem.

Nothing in the GPL requires source to be rebuildable so that closed source binary only apps can run unmodified on rebuilt binaries; kindof goes against the spirit of the GPL, no?