[CentOS] redhat vs centos

Wed Nov 2 17:28:10 UTC 2011
Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com>

On Nov 2, 2011, at 8:42 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 01:46:57 AM Bob Hoffman wrote:
>> Personally I am thinking of staying away from all red hat clones due to
>> redhat's actions for my own security.
>> The only thing on the horizon I see is ubuntu server as best supported
>> and up to date.
>
> There are really two good enterprise-grade alternatives, in my opinion, one free and one not:
> 1.) SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES);
> 2.) Debian Stable.
>
> I've had some issues with Ubuntu LTS in the past; perhaps they've worked those out, but since they're somewhat based off of Debian, why not go to the source if you're going to go 'Debian-like?'
----
for desktop usage, Ubuntu clearly has the advantage (or disadvantage as it were) of available drivers which are less than optimal license or binary blobs.

for server usage, Ubuntu has the advantage of openssl

as for having issues... I run into issues regardless of which OS, Linux or not and I don't see that any Linux is all that radically different.

Craig