[CentOS] School cloud solution

Sun Nov 6 00:41:57 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 11/05/11 5:34 PM, Doug Coats wrote:
> This really isn't a CentOS specific queation but that is our server OS of choice.
>
> I manage a student file server and i would like to add cloud access to it.  Basically i would like our students to have access to the same files at home that they have at school.  This would allow them to start an asignment at home, finish it at school, and print it off without having to worry about losing their usb drive.  I want it housed on our servers for backups and ease of access for our teachers when necessary.

thats really not a cloud, thats just an internet accessible file server
as you describe.    the problem is, any system that involves downloading
a file, editing it locally, and uploading it back to the file server
will fail, as users won't remember to upload, and leave multiple
versions scattered about.

Look into google 'apps' (which is really corporatized google
documents).   you edit your documents via your web browser, everything
is hosted in googles cloud so its accessible everywhere.  It supports
written 'word' style documents, spreadsheets, presentations (powerpoint
like) and a few other types.

yes, it costs money per person per year (up to 25 users are free), but
I'd have to assume there's an educational discount.