[CentOS] redhat vs centos

Tue Nov 8 14:32:06 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 11/07/2011 09:17 PM, Trey Dockendorf wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> again:
>>>
>>> the physical structure does not matter
>>> you pay for virtaul CPUs as you do also for virtual appliances
>>> of some vendors where you can get a license with 2 vCPUs or
>>> 4 vCPUs - independent if you have your own hardware or using
>>> any hsoting service
>>>
>>> what is there so difficulty to understand?
>>
>> Well, what I don't understand is how many vCPU's are equal to one socket.
>>
>> Or, to be explicit, let me invent an example: suppose that I have leased
>> virtual hardware from some 3rd party, and have obtained a virtual machine
>> with
>> 6 vCPU's. I want to buy RHEL licences to install on that machine. AFAIK, RH
>> counts licences in sockets. How many licences should I buy? Or, iow, how
>> many
>> sockets is equal to 6 vCPU's?
>>
>> Does RH have a formula for the number of sockets as a function of the
>> number
>> of  vCPU's (and vice versa)?
>>
>> Best, :-)
>> Marko

> Socket != vCPU.  There is no need for a formula.  The licensing is done
> based on the hosting hardware.  That does not mean it has to be a RHEL
> hypervisor.  When I got my quotes it was to put 4 guests on a 2-socket
> VMware ESXi server.  That would be a single license for 2-socket w/ 4
> guests.  That wouldn't change no matter how many vCPUs I used.  It's much
> easier to ensure license compliance on the hosting hardware than on
> something as dynamic as the vCPU count.
>
> I'd recommend contacting Red Hat to get a definitive answer as I am basing
> what I know on my talks with my campus' Red Hat rep several months ago.
>
> - Trey

The correct answer is given right there ^^^

Instead of everyone speculating what Red Hat would charge for a given
situation (I have a virtual machine on the cloud with 16 VCPUs ... I
have 1 machine with 8 Quad Core CPUs, I have X with Y, etc.) on the
CentOS mailing list ... the answer is:

Red Hat has a whole division of people who will tell you exactly what
licenses you need for your specific information.  They will send you an
invoice or even take your credit card information and send you the
correct licenses, etc.

This whole part of the discussion belongs between an individual person
and Red Hat sales.  Here is a link:

https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/other_methods.html

Everyone feel free to call or contact Red Hat as described in the above
link to get REAL answers concerning their licenses.