[CentOS] Postfix mail server procedure

Fri Nov 11 00:48:27 UTC 2011
Christopher Chan <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 07:23 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 01:10 -0500, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
>
>> CentOS Community
>> I was wondering if anyone had a good resource or procedure for a step by
>> step in installing a mail server with Centos. There ARE documents on
>> google, however almost all that i've found were outdated from 2005. Does
>> anyone know where I can find this type of document for a mailserver
>> Postfix + MySQL + SpamAssassin + ClamAV + Squirrelmail + Postfixadmin, etc?
>>
> MySQL has nothing to do with mail.  If you can avoid using it - avoid
> it. The just-throw-everything-in-mysql approach to life has never made
> sense to me.

Maybe it does not have to but it sure is a wonderful part of a system
when you host thousands or millions even of mailboxes and want to be
able to run server farms/clusters that can lookup a shared userinfo
database. Don't bother giving me crap about generating Berkerly DB files
every fifteen minutes. Don't bother pointing to ldap too because by your
definition for mysql, ldap has nothing to with mail too.

> For CLAMAV you need to have clamd running and a milter.  I'm not certain
> what milter's are current - when I set one up they were all had equally
> stale documentation.  Does CentOS currently ship a working clamav
> milter?

RHEL/Centos ships zero milters...

> I have no idea what Postfixadmin is;  I've never seen much point in an
> MTA admin tool.  And MTA is pretty much setup and let it run.

Yeah, for a small setup. And it is not an MTA admin tool. It is a
userinfo admin tool. When you want shared userinfo databases for an MTA
like postfix/sendmail/qmail/exim, you tend to use mysql or postgresql.

> Squirelmail is an application; just use their documentation [although
> I'd recommend Horde over Squirrel].

Yes, horde + sieve + dovecot + dovecot sieve extension is kinda handy
for generating filter recipes. Who needs crap like maildrop or procmail
when dovecot provides the lda, the pop/imap servers and the glue between
postfix and the userinfo db?

> You don't mention a mail store [IMAP Server]?  Such as Cyrus IMAP.
> Something for Postfix to deliver the mail too.

Mail store != imap server. Mail store = structure for mboxes/maildirs.