[CentOS] Redhat vs centos vs ubuntu

Fri Nov 11 13:28:26 UTC 2011
Alain Péan <alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr>

Le 11/11/2011 10:39, Bob Hoffman a écrit :
> Ubuntu opened the virtual host to the entire lan, all ports, and added
> forwarding to non existent
> virtual bridge that had not been built yet.

This is simply false for Ubuntu Server. After first install, there is
simply no single port opened, even 22, you need to install openssh for
that. So there is no need for a firewall with the basic install.
It is this philosophy that is not unsderstood by RHEL.CentOS users. You
don't need a firewall when there are no ports opened.

The first release was even delayed because it remained one open port !

Meanwhile, you can access the Internet (it does not open ports on the
external), and update your machine.

I am using Ubuntu Server for VMs, and I like this behavior. It is very
light, and a fast installation. Then I install and open only the
required services and ports, and control the ports that can reached from
Internet with a site firewall.

Alain