[CentOS] Postfix mail server procedure

Fri Nov 11 17:04:51 UTC 2011
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>

On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 23:13 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > ----
> > > been using cyrus-imapd for years - eats dovecot for lunch in terms of
> > > features/performance/reliability/scaling/flexibility and just about
> > > every other imaginable use for an IMAP server.
> > Hmm, I must give it a try one day then since it comes with RHEL/Centos.
> ----
> I should mention that even though RHEL (Fedora/CentOS/SL/etc.) uses the
> invoca.ch packages but they are older and never have the 'autocreate'
> patches.
> I heavily recommend that you get the SRPM from invoca.ch directly (Simon
> - who I believe monitors this list) and rebuild (dead simple)
> http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/
> The 'autocreate' patches are awesome. Here is info on what they do (and
> the patch code itself).
> http://www.vx.sk/download/patches/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd-2.4.4-autocreate-0.10-0.patch
> but if you use Simon's packages, the autocreate patch is already
> included (no fuss, no muss).
> Autocreate INBOX and subfolders on first LOGIN, first POST, auto 'sieve'
> rules and auto subscribe to various folders including 'shared' or
> 'public' folders

+1 The shipped packages on most distributions are a bit lame;  Simon's
packages are the way to go.  They also provision everything as Skiplist
[Cyrus' preferred DB format] avoiding the ugliness that is Berkley DB
[issue with which Cyrus has take a fair amount of the blame; most
'corrupt Cyrus databases' are corrupt BDB databases].

Delayed expunge, message expiration, full-text indexing, mod-sequence
support, etc...  Cyrus' feature set is very robust.