[CentOS] binding additional IP addresses to centos6 on one interface

Mon Nov 14 11:03:21 UTC 2011
nux at li.nux.ro <nux at li.nux.ro>

Jonathan Vomacka writes:

> Reindl,
>
> A block of 10 IPV4 is not a lot, and they will all eventually be used.
> My question is, my server IP is 66.80.x.x and my additional IPS are in
> the 50.7.x.x range using a netmask of 255.255.255.248.
>
> Can the netmask be written in the range file like it is in the ifcfg-eth0:0?

Reindl,

Please do not top post.

255.255.255.248 gives you a total of 8 IPs, not 10, of which usually you
loose 3 for the network, broadcast and gw addresses.
You can assign those 5 in a range file without problems, you can also
specify the netmask like in a "normal" cfg file. It shouldn't be needed to
specify other settings.

Where I work we'd route the additional subnet through the IP you already
have on the server, thus allowing you to allocate _all_ 8 IPs as a range
on the loopback interface with a /32 netmask. See if your ISP can do this
for you.

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro