[CentOS] CentOS versus Scientific

Mon Nov 14 20:31:58 UTC 2011
Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com>

Hey folks,

I was just reminded of the Scientific distro, which on the surface
appears to be quite similar to CentOS even when the developers over
there are rather coy about which Enterprise Linux distro they base
theirs on.

I wonder if anyone here has done a comparison of the two that they'd
care to share.

I work in a Scientific Research Lab (Stem Cell Research) and am
wondering if there is anything about the Scientific disto that might
be better suited to our needs, even if it is only the fact that it is
put together by people who work in similar environments and would
therefore understand our needs better.

I'm just starting to read up on it to see what I think and thought I
would ask what others think.

One thing I will have to look into of course is what kind of support
there is - this list is absolutely fantastic for CentOS and that alone
is worth a lot.

cheers,
-Alan