[CentOS] Changes at Red Hat confouding CentOS (was: What happened to 6.1)

Tue Nov 15 14:46:26 UTC 2011

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 11/15/2011 01:56 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
<snip>
>> I saw statistics - I don't remember where - saying that
>> CentOS had 30% of the Linux market, which I found very surprising,

Wow!

>> though also satsifying (to me). SL had a tiny share.
>> (I remember now, it was someone complaining that Fedora's share
>> was slipping badly.)

Because fedora, as has been mentioned here by folks in addition to me, is
bleeding edge, not leading edge. There's *NO* *WAY* I'd run it at home,
much less at work.
<snip>
>> I was very struck by the ease with which I upgraded to CentOS-6,
>> compared with the nightmare (now hopefully over)
>> upgrading from Fedora-15 to Fedora-16.
>> It reminded me why I would never run Fedora on a server.
>
> I tend to skip one Fedora release and then do a a plain reinstall and copy
> my old data I need over. Fedora upgrades always sound rather messy.

The "preupgrade" is what I've been using the last year, and why I'm now
building boxes here with 500M instead of 100M root partitions, figuring
that it's what's coming for CentOS, eventually.

       mark