[CentOS] Changes at Red Hat confouding CentOS (was: What happened to 6.1)

Tue Nov 15 15:15:14 UTC 2011
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>

Vreme: 11/15/2011 01:56 PM, Timothy Murphy piše:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>
>> Currently, CentOS build system should be in much better shape and we
>> will see how it will do for coming 6.2 point release (already in beta).
>
> Thanks very much for that.
> I found your account most interesting and informative.
>
> I guess one question that I've never seen raised
> is if there has ever been a suggestion that Centos and SL
> should combine, or at least work together?
> They seem to have exactly the same aim.
>
> I wonder why SL was set up,
> rather than offering to help the CentOS team?

SL is maintained for Scientists mostly in Fermi Labs and CERN, and it
has additional Scientific applications/packages.

They are also government funded project, and as such must follow some
strict rules. Those are main reasons. There are smaller ones, but even
those are enough not to think in the direction of joining projects.

<snip>
> I run CentOS on 3 home servers, and Fedora on my laptops.)

I have setup repository for desktop use of CentOS where I have put many
packages (~300 compiled and 45 downloaded from non-repo locations) and
in process of solving repo conflicts so major third-part repositories
can be the basis for nicely formulated Desktop distro. When I finally
have enough time I will finish it and offer entire package to public. I
hope it will be soon.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)