[CentOS] Changes at Red Hat confouding CentOS (was: What happened to 6.1)

Tue Nov 15 16:40:22 UTC 2011

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 11/15/2011 04:31 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Vreme: 11/15/2011 03:46 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us piše:
>>> The "preupgrade" is what I've been using the last year, and why I'm now
>>> building boxes here with 500M instead of 100M root partitions, figuring
>>> that it's what's coming for CentOS, eventually.
>> +1
>
> I doubt that. The issue isn't the technology but the support issues that
> can arise from updating systems between releases. Red Hat would have to
> test all kinds of update scenarios and not only between two releases but
> they'd also have to take into account systems that have been upgraded
> several times. I'm pretty sure they will stick to the service migration
> update path they are using now.

preupgrade is only for migration for full releases, and does sorta kinda
work.... It's been in fedora a year or so; I'm *not* looking forward to it
hitting RHEL, and so CentOS, but I'm figuring it will, in another year or
two.

       mark